Did you know that essential oils have long been used by businesses and consumers alike to scent products and flavor foods? Even Coca-Cola and Pepsi have been in on the action.
So what are essential oils exactly? And how can they help you in your healing journey? We will answer questions like these in the guide below.
Before You Buy Essential Oils, Learn What They Are
Before you learn what essential oils are, you need to learn what is aromatherapy. Aromatherapy is when you use essential oils for therapeutic benefits and it has been used for centuries by humans.
Essential oils are aromatic liquids. They are extracted from a wide variety of plants and their various parts. Some of these parts are flowers, roots, seeds, shrubs, trees, and more. Plants use these oils to protect themselves from harm and to adapt and grow in their harsh environments.
When extracted and processed properly, the best essential oils can retail their helpful properties with their various chemical constituents.
How Do You Use Essential Oils?
There are three main ways that you can use essential oils in your daily routine. You can either use them on your own or with a healing practitioner.
- Aromatically – diffusing the essential oil or directly inhaling it can allow you to access the benefits directly through the brain’s limbic system
- Topically – rubbing or massaging the essential oil (diluted!) onto your skin allows your bodily systems to access the benefits directly
- Internally – this method should only be used under the direction of a trained aromatherapist
- As a perfume – you can also use certain essential oil mixes like those from AromaTech as perfumes or fragrances
As you can imagine, many people purchase essential oils and use them at home, without any real knowledge of the potency of the oils at hand. You need to be careful when you use essential oils at home because they are extremely concentrated and can be quite dangerous if used without supervision.
It’s also important to remember that your pets and babies are highly sensitive to aromatherapy and might feel ill if exposed to much of it the diffusing scent. Take care when using aromatherapy when your pets or baby are around. In fact, it would be better to avoid using it around them.
Some Safety Precautions to Keep In Mind
As with everything potent and health-related, you should venture with caution. Don’t go all in on the first day of your aromatherapy session.
Other things to keep in mind are:
- Don’t use oils on skin that’s exposed to sunlight as essential oils are photosensitive
- Pregnant women shouldn’t use essential oils without consulting a doctor
- Always dilute with a carrier oil
- Do not use more than 1-3 drops
- Don’t put essential oils in your eyes or ears
- If you have asthma, high blood pressure, or epilepsy, consult with a physician before use
- Keep essential oils out of reach of curious children
Now you are ready to purchase essential oils online and start creating your own aromatherapy session.
You Now Know What Are Essential Oils
With these basics on what are essential oils, you are ready to venture into the heady world of aromatherapy. Stay alert and follow the safety measures to circumnavigate any dangers.
Enjoyed this article? Don’t forget to check out other articles about lifestyle on our website.