Most of us may be fearful about boarding a flight than the airport itself. However, airports are not completely accident-proof. Airport accidents can occur for several reasons ranging from malfunctioning elevators, unrepaired escalators, as well as spills, and hazardous obstacles that can result in a slip, trip, and fall accident.
If you have been a victim of a slip and fall accident, it is crucial to know who is liable if you have fallen and sustained a serious injury while on the premises of an airport. Having the knowledge will determine the best outcome for your lawsuit claim.
Liability in a Slip and Fall Injury at an Airport
Most slip, trip and fall accidents are caused by the negligence of a party. Understanding who is responsible for your accident is the first step toward pursuing your liability claim. Some of the parties who may be held liable for your airport fall injuries are as follows:
- If your accident occurs in a public airport, you may be able to sue the airport authority for your accident. As airport authorities are classified as government agencies, they have limited liability and you will have to follow special rules to submit your claim.
- If your accident occurs in a private airport, the owner of the property can be held liable for your accident.
- If you slip and fall near the entry or inside a shop, kiosk, or restaurant located in an airport, you can hold the owner of the establishment responsible for your damages and injuries.
- If another person’s negligence contributed to your fall, they can be held liable for your accident regardless of whether the accident occurred in a public or a private airport. For example, if some walking ahead of you spilled a beverage, and you slipped over it, you can sue the person for their negligence.
Some cases of slip and fall accidents can be complicated as it is not clear who is directly responsible for the accident. For example, if a passenger is being escorted in a wheelchair by an airline staff member and while rolling over a damaged flooring the wheelchair imbalances throwing the passenger out, then both the airport authority and airline staff member may be held responsible for the accident.
Steps to Be Taken After Your Slip and Fall Accident
It is critical to follow the steps below after your serious injury to maximize your chances of winning your claim:
- The first step is to seek medical assistance to address all your pain and injuries.
- If there are any witnesses present at the time of the accident collect their contact information as their testimony will be useful to file your claim.
- Collect photographs of the scene of the accident including the safety hazard that contributed to your fall. It is crucial to document the cause of your fall as the negligent party may try to repair any faulty flooring or clear hazardous obstacles as soon as they become aware of the accident.
- Contact a personal injury lawyer who can review your case and help you understand your legal options. A knowledgeable and experienced attorney has the expertise to collect evidence, negotiate settlements with insurance companies on your behalf, and can help you file a lawsuit so that you receive fair compensation for your pain and injuries.