Moving is hard work. It’s not just about packing up your belongings and loading them onto a truck. Moving requires moving supplies, which are necessary for any move, big or small! Whether you’re renting a U-Haul or hiring professional movers to load the truck for you, having the right tools on hand will make the process much easier.
Moving on your own is difficult. It’s expensive, it’s stressful and it always seems like there are never enough boxes to pack everything up. But don’t fret! We’re here to help you with the supplies and tools you’ll need when moving home. In this article, we’ll break down the truly essential supplies needed to move!
This one should be a no-brainer but think about all of the hassles you’ve had when packing in the past. What did you run out of? The things we all run out of, tape, boxes, and packing materials! Not having these essentials will always slow down your move. Luckily, there are a few guidelines you can follow to make sure you have the right amount of these crucial items. In addition, finding a moving company that will pack for you would be super helpful.
The big three when it comes to packing supplies are boxes, tape, and packing materials. We’ve broken these three below:
- Boxes: When it comes to boxes, there’s a rather simple solution. Always plan! Many grocery stores and discount retailers will be all too willing to give you boxes for your move if you plan and ask around. This also gives you the added benefit of getting more boxes easily should you run out.
Make sure you have an assortment of sizes, as well. While it is tempting to try to pack everything in as tightly as possible, remember you have to move these boxes, and in addition to broken china, you might end up with a broken back as well!
- Packing Tape: On the subject of running out of materials and supplies, trust us when we say you don’t have enough packing tape. Try for one roll of packing tape for every three boxes. Tape is the number one supply you will run out of, causing you a trip back to the store and valuable pre-move time.
- Packing Materials: Just like the boxes, packing materials can be prepped ahead of time for little cost. Save your old newspapers, bubble wrap, and packing materials from packages you’ve shipped. You can use these materials for less fragile items and save the bubble wrap you’ve purchased for your more valuable items!
Tools And Most Forgotten Items
In this section, we’ve provided a list of the more commonly forgotten tools and moving supplies you will need for your move. These items are frequently overlooked until they are needed, and some items such as box cutters or moving blankets are both more convenient options and safer than the alternative you might end up using instead.
Read on below for a quick checklist of the most forgotten moving supplies:
- Box cutters/utility knives
- Pens/pencils and paper
- Painters tape
- Heavy Duty trash bags/contractor bags
- Thick permanent markers with chisel tips
- Stick on labels and color-coded dot stickers
- Cleaning supplies
- Paper towels/cleaning rags/scrub brushes
- Moving blankets
- Rope/ratchet straps/bungee cords
- Mattress covers
Wrapping It Up
When it comes to moving, there will be enough hiccups and headaches to worry about without adding a lack of the supplies needed to the mix. With this article, you’ll be prepared with a detailed guide to act as your moving checklist to keep you on track with all the essential supplies needed to move!